Laughter really is the BEST medicine. Did you know that all the giggles and chuckles that you have made were beneficial to your health? Every time a joke was told or a hilarious thing happened, you probably broke out into laughter. Call your best friends and tell them you’ve been beyond beneficial to their lives. It isn’t just a proverb, laughter is the best medicine. Think about the instances that you have been extremely happy and couldn’t stop laughing, no matter the struggles that you were facing, you felt glad and hyper, that’s just proof that your physical and emotional health is greatly affected by a good laugh.
Laughter is medicinal for many reasons. Laughter is linked directly to stress, anxiety and pain reduction. Picture a moment that you were so overwhelmed with life that you just felt like crying. Then recall how it felt when someone cheered you up, the storm wasn’t over, but the laughter was a much-needed commercial break. Here are 12 reasons why you need to take laughter seriously and burst into laughter as often as you can.
- Relaxes the Whole Body: A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed. This good feeling can last up to 45 minutes. It’s a pocket-friendly alternative to a day at the spa. You get to off load your worries in that moment and live to the fullest. Such a nice gift to give yourself!
- Immune System Booster: Forget about supplements, antibiotics and the rest of the medication you have, laughter single-handedly reduces the stress hormones as it increases the immune cells and antibodies that fight infections. If someone has a problem with your laugh, calmly tell them that you are just building your body’s resistance to diseases in style.
- Protection for your Heart: The small action of smiling and laughing improves the blood flow in the vessels and boosts the functioning of the blood vessels hence reducing the chances of getting a heart attack or any cardiovascular disease.
- Burns Calories: it may not win when compared to 30 minutes on the treadmill but a study done in the recent past stated that laughing for 10-15 minutes in one day can burn 40 calories. Stop trying to calculate how much you must laugh to burn the maximum amount and go back to your exercises. Laugh as you exercise for the best outcome.
- Mental Health: the loud cackles and high-pitched squeals from a group of friends sharing memories may come to an end but the gleeful feeling stays. It makes you pick an optimistic view towards life.
It regulates emotions: Have you ever been extremely upset but someone approaches you and attempts to cheer up. No matter the anger intensity, once you smile and let out a laugh, you become engulfed by joy. It tempers any pessimistic emotions.
- Changes the Perspective: Most people use jokes to avoid feeling overwhelmed by certain aspects, taking something on a lighter note avoids you feeling threatened.
- Laughter Promotes Creativity: It stimulates both sides of the brain to enhance learning. Chances are good that students will learn more from teachers who use laughter and humor to illustrate a point. Few good laughs can change everything at work. It also helps us to see life from a different perspective without being too preachy.
- Strengthens Relationships: laughter is extremely contagious and you already know this. Even before a joke is told, if the narrator keeps bursting out laughing then everyone else is already smiling or laughing at an unknown cause. The more the laughter the merrier the bunch. How do your hangouts go? Are you always laughing to the extent you aren’t producing any sound so you assume you’re suffocating but it’s worth it?
- Lowers Blood Pressure: yes, your body benefits so much from a good laugh. grab a comic and spend some time chuckling, your heart will be happy to avoid a stroke or heart attack.
- Ab workout: You may never have considered this but when you laugh, your abs muscles expand and contract similarly to when you exercise. At the same time, muscles not used in this process get to relax so that they aren’t worn out. This makes your toned tummy a laughing affair.
- Triggers the Endorphins: forget about aspirin, these are nature’s painkillers. Laughing causes a lot of endorphins to be released reducing the pain and making you feel amazing.
- A Sense of Well-being: studies have shown that being optimistic and jovial about life tends to motivate an individual. This even reflects onto patients fighting diseases.
Laughter is very powerful, it can even help you relax and sleep peacefully just by the production of the endorphins and the relaxed body state. The best thing is that you don’t have to schedule a laugh and it’s never too much. Just play a comedy, hang out with your friends or grab a newspaper with a comic. Ensure that each day you get to laugh, you’ll notice the change in your attitude for the better.
How to Increase the Laughter?
Laughter is unique to every individual but it has general similarities. Here are several ideas that will dial up the joy quotient.
- Smiling: go ahead, turn that frown upside down and it will lift your moods. Just mirroring a person’s mood can give you a lift. This happens a lot when another individual flashes their pearly whites with an amazing smile.
- Laughing Yoga Class: I tried a class with my girlfriend. The fact that you are there to laugh in the first place feels funny already. Everyone sat there smiling so it wasn’t much of a leap until I was full-on laughing even without the prompts from the instructor. In fact, it’s virtually impossible not to laugh in these types of classes, so give one a try and see if it puts a smile on your face. Laughing yoga definitely got me laughing till my face hurt and it felt great. It really is contagious!
- Hang out with fun people and laugh often: It can be toxic to spend time with negative people and that energy rubs off on you eventually. In everyday life, at home or the office, humor that fosters camaraderie, builds good will, offers perspective or amicably breaks tension is an easy way to put people at ease. So, hold on to your great friends and hang out with them as much as you can, their positive energy is the reason you need to take laughter seriously.
- Listen, watch and experience the funny: When was the last time you saw a comedian on stage? You end up laughing so hard your cheeks hurt. When you’re having a rough day at the office, give yourself a time out and take a humor break. Step outside for a bit of fresh air and watch a short comedy clip on your smart phone. Funnyordie.com is a great source of humorous videos to give you a few giggles in less than five minutes. The last thing I watched on Netflix that cracked me up was Jerry Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. It is hilarious!
Try not to go a day without laughing. So, instead of sulking, or crying all day, look for something hilarious and ensure that you are laughing. I love to watch videos of babies laughing when I feel blue. There is nothing better than a baby belly laughing! A laugh a day keeps the doctor away!
What made you laugh recently? Did you feel better? Please comment and share!